Thursday, October 25, 2007

Breathing Easier

I'm not just talking about knowing the immediate danger is over, but also the fact that we went from dust-storm air to smokey-air yesterday, with flecks of ash landing on our patio (and undoubtedly in our lungs), to what feels like cleaner air today--relatively speaking for Southern California, of course.

My cousin Eve lives very close to some of the fires, near Magic Mountain, and I e-mailed her to find out how they are doing. This was her reply:

Yes it's been pretty scarey around here. My mother in law and sister in law had to evacuate the other night with their pets. The fire went up to their side yard. Our house is fine, just smokey ashes everywhere. People at work were evacuating so Monday was pretty empty at the office. Our favorite pumpkin patch burned down. Ive gone there since Andrew was a baby.

Andrew has just completed his freshman year at Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo, by the way.

When I read in the Orange County Register that the Old Globe Theatre in San Diego had canceled performances, I added a comment about the 1993 Laguna Beach fire that came very close to destroying my theatre, which you can read here.

Until next time...

Rick

No comments: