Saturday, October 13, 2007

Another "Mondegreen"


Alison reminded me this afternoon that I have another "famous" mondegreen we always laugh at--also by Joni Mitchell and also from the Hissing of Summer Lawns album.

It's in the song "Harry's House/Centerpiece," which is sort of a diptych or medley, with "Centerpiece" sandwiched into "Harry's House" in a daydreamy diversion from the main song.

Anyway, here are the lyrics of this section:


The more I'm with you, pretty baby
The more I feel my love increase
I'm building all my dreams around you
Our happiness will never cease
'Cause nothing's any good without you
Baby you're my centerpiece

We'll find a house and garden somewhere
Along a country road a piece
A little cottage on the outskirts
Where we can really find release
'Cause nothing's any good without you
Baby you're my centerpiece

Well, folks, I used to sing "Baby you're my centipede"--mostly because I couldn't understand clearly what Joni was singing and I hadn't taken the time to check the lyrics!

How's that for a mondegreen!

Send me yours.

Until next time....

Rick




No comments: