Thursday, September 6, 2007

"I Can See Clearly Now"

Yesterday, the lens in my left eye was removed and replaced with an implant due to a cataract, and an hour later I was singing the Johnny Nash song of the '70s:

I can see clearly now, the rain is gone,
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.

I think I can make it now, the pain is gone
All of the bad feelings have disappeared
Here is the rainbow I’ve been prayin' for
It’s gonna be a bright (bright), bright (bright)
Sun-Shiny day.

Look all around, there’s nothin' but blue skies
Look straight ahead, nothin' but blue skies

One of the things the medical staff tells you is that your color perception might change. It's really amazing to me that I not only see almost perfectly out of my left eye, but I can't ever recall perceiving all colors as vividly as I do now.

Seeing clearly is wonderful...but it does have its downside: I can now see clearly things I wished I didn't, like blemishes, like how hair grows in places I wish it didn't (and there's less of it on my head).

The right eye will have its day, too, later this fall.

Until next time...

Rick

No comments: